What does it mean if your gums are receding?
If someone says that your gums are receding, this means that the margin of your gum tissue that surrounds your teeth has worn away or pulls back. More of your teeth become exposed, or even the root(s). Bacteria can also build up between your gums and teeth.
What are the signs to look out for?
- The exposed parts of your teeth can cause sensitivity, making your mouth feel uncomfortable, especially with hot or cold food & drink
- Having loose teeth
- Teeth appearing longer than normal
There are a number of reasons why you may get receding gums, such as:
- Not taking proper care of your teeth
- Brushing your teeth too hard
- Using too hard of a toothbrush
- Periodontal diseases
- Changes in hormones
- If you have a misaligned bite
- Crooked teeth
- Clenching or grinding your teeth
- Smoking, vaping, chewing tobacco, hookah
You do not want to ignore receding gums, hoping they’ll just recover on their own. Your tissue, bone structure, and teeth could be harmed to the point where you could lose your teeth. Be sure to book an appointment with your dental clinic as soon as possible.
Call us at Townline Dental if you need a dentist in Abbotsford: 604-744-1513. We would love to take care of the dental health of your whole family.