Halloween is one of the most popular holidays of the year for not only kids…but adults too! People often see it as a good excuse to indulge in more sweets than usual, without the guilt. That said, most people don’t step up their dental care routine at the same time to be extra protective of their teeth.
More sugar in your mouth means more acid that can then attack the enamel on your teeth. Enamel is the hardest substance in the human body that covers each tooth, but it is important to know that once it is gone, it cannot be replenished. And once your enamel starts to wear away, your teeth become more vulnerable to cavities and breakage.
Here are some dental tips for you and your kids to pay special attention to during the Halloween season (as well as all year long):
(1) Stay away from hard candies or extra sticky candies. If you bite hard candies, you risk chipping or cracking your teeth. Sticky candies are bad culprits because they can leave sugary remnants on your teeth for hours (or until you brush and floss).
(2) Eat or drink dairy products. Drinking milk or eating cheese, for example, can help to reduce the acid in your mouth.
(3) Drink water often. This will help wash away the sugar. You definitely want to stay away from pop or other sugary drinks in addition to eating sweets.
(4) Try to consume treats right after your meal. There will be more saliva in your mouth after eating which can help protect your teeth.
(5) As always – brush and floss. Brushing is always important of course, but it is especially important after eating sugar.
The point is not to feel super restricted in what you eat, but instead to be precautious and aware. It’s always much better to be proactive in protecting your teeth, as compared to being reactive and getting cavities filled at your dental clinic!
Any questions? Feel free to contact us at our dental clinic in Abbotsford. We would love to hear from you and have you as a new patient!
Have a safe and happy Halloween!