One of the most important life skills that you can teach your child is good dental hygiene. The best way you can do this is to make it a fun activity, so instead of trying to avoid it, they actually look forward to it. Brushing their own teeth will also help them develop confidence, independence, and motor skills.
If they adopt this good habit when they are young, they will be able to carry it forward with them their whole life, which is so important because we only get one set of teeth after all!
Here’s 7 Ways that You Can Make Dental Hygiene FUN for Kids:
- Take them shopping to pick out their own toothbrush with their favorite cartoon character on it. They will feel more grown up if they get to use a battery operated one, plus it will be much more exciting than a regular one. It will also be easier and more comfortable for them to use. Ideally, the toothbrush should be extra soft so that it is gentle on their teeth and gums.
- After choosing their own toothbrush, let them pick out their own toothpaste. There are so many options on the market in terms of colors, flavors, sparkles, and fun packaging.
- To ensure that they brush for the full two minutes in the morning and at night, buy a cute timer for them. This is important because you can tell them to brush for two minutes, but their version of two minutes may only be thirty seconds.
- Brush together and set a good example. Kids love to imitate adults, so if you get in the habit of brushing together, it will be seen as a fun activity that turns into their morning and evening routine. When you are finished, you can both look at you teeth in the mirror to ensure a job well done.
- Reward good behavior by giving them a sticker to put on a calendar each morning and night that they brush. Keep the calendar in the bathroom to keep this top of mind. Give them even more incentive by taking them to do a special activity at the end of the month when they complete their “monthly brushing challenge”.
- Play their favorite song when they are brushing.
- Buy them children’s books about brushing teeth or let them watch videos on YouTube.
In addition to all of these great tips, be sure that they know that you are happy and proud of their efforts. Positive reinforcement can go a LONG way in ensuring your kids keep up with their healthy dental habits.
You can make going to the dentist a fun experience too by bringing them to our Abbotsford dental clinic. Call us at 604-744-1513 to book an appointment today! We provide high quality dental care for the whole family in a setting that feels like home. Learn more about our Abbotsford dentists HERE.